Monday, November 12, 2018

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream





I am going to try to give honor to some wonderful family members today!  A families heritage comes from so many places in today's day and age.  For now, we are going to talk just a little about my mother's father and his family.  I take inspiration from our Mexican heritage for this recipe.


This photo is of my Bisabuela Emily Vega.  My daughter Emily is named after this woman.  She was a survivor.  She had sass and class.  What I would do to have really known her!

Bisabuela Emily Vega
Translation: Great Grandmother Emily Vega

I am a big fan of Mexican Hot Chocolate!  We are going to take our inspiration from the warm, exotic flavors in Nestle's Abuelita Mexican Hot Chocolate.  Since, Abuelita means Grandmother, I thought to be a good Nannacakes, I should know how to duplicate these flavors.




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine 3 large eggs, vegetable oil, milk, seasonings.  Whisk.  Add you fudgy cake mix. (Devil's Food would work well here too!)  Beat together mixture until combined and smooth.

Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner to 2/3 full.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.




On to the FROSTING!


One can sweetened condensed milk, one pound or 4 sticks of butter and one teaspoon of cinnamon.


We are going to combine one can of sweetened condensed milk, one pound or 4 sticks of butter and one teaspoon of cinnamon.  Beat this until smooth.



Here, I have added a malted milk ball candy and shaved milk chocolate for garnish.  It also has a dusting of cinnamon on top.







Below is my absolute favorite picture of my grandpa.  Thank you Irene Gonzalez, amazing cousin, for giving me a copy of this.  Both men, as you can see, were military.  I honor them, on this Veteran's Day, along with so many others.  I have brothers, uncles, cousins and a grandfather who have served.  My pride for them overflows.




Gran Tio Jesse, Bisabuela Emily Vega and Abuelo Freddie Vega
Translation: Great Uncle Jesse, Great Grandmother Emily Vega and Grandfather Freddie Vega


Happy Veteran's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment