Monday, October 29, 2018

Apple Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart



Apple Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart
This recipe was sort of a happy accident.  Many years ago, I needed to use up the apples I had.  There weren't enough apples there to make a pie.  I looked around to see what I could add to them to "beef" up the pie.  I had a fresh box of strawberries.  Why not?  I made the pie just as I would have normally made an apple pie.  The strawberries really made a nice addition.  Since then, I have used this fruit combination at least once a year.



 In this case, I am using McIntosh and Gala apples.  They are just what I have fresh on hand.  Any combination of apples would work. You do you.  I am also using fresh strawberries (frozen thawed berries would do if, you I were to drain them first) and one 
box of puff pastry.


 I peeled and diced the apples.  I cut the tops off of the strawberries and sliced them. Preheat oven to 400°.






Roll out one sheet of the puff pastry until it is approx. 12"x12".  
Cut that sheet in half.



Spray your baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.



In a large mixing bowl combine apples, strawberries, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 cup of sugar, a pinch of salt, 2 Tbsp flour, and a dash of nutmeg.  Gently fold all of these ingredients together.  You don't want to mash up those strawberries!




Spoon the mixture out onto the puff pastry leaving about a half inch of pastry showing all the way around.  Beat one egg and brush that onto the exposed edges of the pastry.  Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown.





NOTE:  I try not to make too many sweets in my house.  The more I make, the more they will eat.  So, in this case, I only used one of the two sheets of pastry that come in the box.  I put the other in a freezer bag right back into the freezer.  I also had enough of the fruit and seasoning mixture to make 2 tarts again at a later date!


No comments:

Post a Comment